Mount Saint Charles Scholastic (Helena, Mont.) 1912-1916, July 01, 1912, Image 11

What is this?
Optical character recognition (OCR) is an automated process that converts a digital image containing numbers and letters into computer-readable numbers and letters. The search engine used on this web site searches OCR-generated text for the word or phrase you are looking for. Please note that OCR is not 100 percent accurate. If the original image is blurry, has extraneous marks, or contains ornate font styles or very small text, the OCR process will produce nonsense characters, extraneous spaces, and other errors, such as those you may see on this page. In addition, the OCR process cannot interpret images and may ignore them or render them as strings of nonsense characters. Despite these drawbacks, OCR remains a powerful tool for making newspaper pages accessible by searching.
×

MOUNT ST. CHARLES SCHOLASTIC. A magnificent tract of fifty acres lying on the edge of the city, popularly known as Capitol Hill, was secured as the site for a new college. Half of this tract belonged to the family of Governor Hauser, and the other half was owned con­ jointly by the Great Northern Railway and George Bertine of New York. Thanks are owing to Governor Hauser and to Mr. Thomas Marlow, who acted as agent for the Bertine Estate, for their efforts in obtaining the transfer of the property. To Mrs. A. P. Thatcher, wife of Dr. Thatcher and daughter of Governor Hauser, for donating her interest in the Hauser property, and to Mr. James J. Hill, Chair­ man of the Great Northern Railway, for his liberality, the College owes a special debt of gratitude. Plans for the college building were prepared by Mr. A. O. Von Herbulis of Washington, D. C., the architect of the Cathedral and St. Helena School, and on June 16th, 1909, ground was broken for the new college by Bishop Carroll sur­ rounded by the priests of the city and the principal, faculty and students of St. Aloysius Institute. L aying the C orner S tone . The cornerstone was laid on Monday afternoon, September 27, 1909, by William Howard Taft, President of the United States. Bishop Carroll’s address on the occasion is descriptive both of the site of the College and of the purpose of its establishment. The President’s response is a compliment to the Hierarchy and an endorsement of the religious educational policy of the Church. B ishop C arroll ’ s A ddress . After the ceremony Bishop Carroll spoke in part as follows: “Mr. President, we have laid the cornerstone of Capitol Hill college. The building which will rise on these foundations we have named from the eminence whereon we stand— an eminence so lofty and beautiful and so set apart from city, valley and mountains that it commands a complete view of that magnificent pano­ rama which nature and man have spread out before us at this gate of the Rocky mountains. No wonder the people of Helena, from the day their city was made the capital of Montana, have with one accord pointed to this eminence as the natural site for the capitol building. Disappointed that the capitol was not located here they are today consoled by the thought that our college will perpetuate the name they have given to the hill, and, as the years go by, will become a most potent ally of the state in securing obedience to the laws enacted in the capitol. The aim of Capitol Hill college will be to give the young men of Montana a thorough, liberal education which will fit them for leadership in any vocation they may choose and at the same time so surround them with religious atmosphere that they may ever follow conscience as their king. Knowledge and virtue are the armor with which Capitol Hill college shall strive to equip its students. And these, says Washing­ ton, are the chiefest supports, the firmest props of both state and nation. It is with singular pleasure, Mr. President, I welcome you to this height and to this ceremony of the laying of the cornerstone of our college.” P resident T aft ’ s R esponse . In response to the Bishop, President Taft said: It gives me great pleasure to participate in the laying of cornerstones of insti­ tutions of learning, whether of church or state. V7e are liberal enough in this

Mount Saint Charles Scholastic (Helena, Mont.), 01 July 1912, located at <http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/MSC_Scholastic/1912-07-01/ed-1/seq-11/>, image provided by MONTANA NEWSPAPERS, Montana Historical Society, Helena, Montana.