About Char-Koosta (Dixon, Mont.) 1971-1985
- Dates available on this site:
- June 1, 1971-June 13, 1985
- Dates published:
- Biweekly May 15, 1984-June 13, 1985
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- D'Arcy McNickle Library, Salish Kootenai College, Pablo, Montana
Published by the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Indian Reservation, the newspaper started in 1956 and continued through five decades. With the exception of a ten-year hiatus from December 1961 through May 1971, the paper continues to publish a weekly issue. The name Char-Koosta is a combination of the names of the last two traditional leaders of the Salish and Kootenai Tribes. Charlo was the last traditional chief of the Bitteroot Salish and among the last of his people to move to the Jocko. Chief Koostahtah was the last of the Kootenai traditional leaders. His office was eliminated by the Constitution of 1935.
- Copyright Information:
- © Tribal Council of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Indian Reservation, Pablo, MT. Used with permission.
- sn 79007540
- Catalog Record (MARC)