About The Judith Basin Star (Hobson, Mont.) 1908-1956
- Dates available on this site:
- Oct. 15, 1908-Dec. 30, 1937
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Judith Basin County Free Library, Stanford, Montana
The Judith Basin Star started publication Oct 15, 1908 under the guidance of M. L. Tuve. In May 1909, he sold the paper to S.E. Peterson, who then sold it to J. A. Raitt in March 1910. Raitt had been working at the Star since the previous August as editor and manager, so it was a smooth transition. The first question facing the community was the name of the community: Philbrook or Hobson. The Philbrook post office moved 4 miles west with the arrival of the Great Northern railroad, but the railroad called it Hobson Station. It wasn’t until July 1912 that the name issue was settled by the post office change to Hobson. The Judith Basin Star greeted the change with relief claiming that the community “had crown weary of the strife” and that the multiple names “has done much to retard the growth of our town.” Throughout its run, the Star focused on news relating to local industries, in particular agriculture and ranching, as well as reporting on community members and events. Raitt and his wife continued to operate the Star until Dec 1950. At that time, they sold the paper to Larry Morrison who also owned the Judith Basin County Press. However, Raitt continued to be the Star’s editor until February 1956 at which time the Star and the Press were combined and Raitt retired.
- Copyright Information:
- All content published 1925 and earlier is in the public domain. Issues published 1926-1963 are in the public domain but may have material that was copyrighted separately. This material will have a © or say copyright with year and is still protected.
- sn 83025312
- Catalog Record (MARC)