About The Inland Empire (Moore, Mont.) 1905-1915
- Dates available on this site:
- Sept. 14, 1905-March 18, 1915
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Lewistown Public Library
Founded in 1903, Moore, Montana, was sited on the Montana Railway Company’s “Jawbone” line west of Lewistown. The town’s namesake, Henry D. Moore, was a major funder of the railroad. The Inland Empire published weekly from 1905 to 1915. In 1905, the Fergus County Argus (Lewistown, Montana) heralded its arrival: “The paper is a six-column folio, neatly printed and ably edited. The newspaper starts with a good advertising patronage and a full and interesting local page.” The newspaper was edited at various times by Butte H. Tipton, George H. Beasley, S.E. Peterson, Edward Osmondson, Guy C. Osmondson, and H.S. Frederick. Beasley was an active booster for the town, holding meetings with fellow promoters inside the newspaper’s office in 1905, and announcing in 1906 that “Moore is going to set a hot pace this summer in the matter of building and general improvement.” Moore was a major producer of wheat, and the Inland Empire called itself the offical organ of the Fergus County American Society of Equity. The ASE was an agricultural cooperative whose goals included organizing farmers to gain political influence.
- Copyright Information:
- This content is in the public domain.
- sn 83025319
- Catalog Record (MARC)