About Weekly Montanian (Thompson Falls, Mont.) 1894-1897
- Dates available on this site:
- Oct. 13, 1894-Dec. 26, 1896
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Thompson Falls Public Library, Thompson Falls, Montana
Thompson Falls was named for cartographer David Thompson, who established a fur-trading post in the area in 1809. Permanent settlers arrived via the Clark Fork River in the 1860s, with logging and mining being the primary commercial activities. In 1883, the Northern Pacific Railway completed a route through the town, and the population briefly boomed with gold seekers on their way to the Coeur d’Alene mountains. In 1905, the entire western Clark Fork Valley became part of Sanders County. In the Weekly Montanian’s inaugural issue, publisher D. A. Hendricks promised the paper would "devote its entire attention to the best interests of the people of Thompson Falls," and he suggested that readers send copies to "friends in Minnesota and elsewhere, that they might become versed with the golden west and its resources…" Hendricks moved the paper to the town of Libby, Montana, in 1897, and later published Hendricks’ Columbian in Columbia Falls.
- Copyright Information:
- This content is in the public domain.
- sn 84036085
- Catalog Record (MARC)