About The Columbian (Columbia Falls, Mont.) 1905-1925
- Dates available on this site:
- Jan. 21, 1905-Feb. 25, 1925
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Montana Historical Society, Helena, Montana
In 1891, a farmhouse post office was established in the sparsely populated Upper Flathead Valley. Originally called Monaco, the locale was soon renamed Columbia Falls. The community was accessible by wagon road, ferry, and bridge, and it boasted a location on flat land just west of the Rocky Mountains. For these reasons, local residents expected James J. Hill to make Columbia Falls a major stop on the expanding Great Northern Railway; however, he bypassed the town in favor of present-day Kalispell. Abundant timber and the Flathead River for transporting logs meant that lumber was an early basis for commerce. John W. Pace founded The Columbian in 1891, and the newspaper continued to run in various incarnations to 1925.
- Copyright Information:
- All content published 1924 and earlier is in the public domain. Issues published 1925-1963 are in the public domain but may have material that was copyrighted separately. This material will have a © or say copyright with year and is still protected.
- sn 85053048
- Catalog Record (MARC)