About Big Hole Basin News (Wisdom, Mont.) 1912-1925
- Dates available on this site:
- Nov. 16, 1922-April 30, 1925
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Carson Library, University of Montana Western, Dillon, Montana
Beaverhead County in southwestern Montana was founded in 1865. The largest county by area in Montana, it consists of 5,572 square miles. The county is named for a rock formation that the Shoshone described as being shaped like a beaver's head. The original county seat was the gold-mining town of Bannack. In 1881 it was moved to Dillon. Beaverhead County is one of the largest cattle and hay producing areas in the state. The county has had a number of newspapers in its history, with the Tribune starting in 1881 and continuing today.
- Copyright Information:
- This content is in the public domain, or no copyright holder could be positively determined.
- sn 85053312
- Catalog Record (MARC)