About The Kendall Miner (Kendall, Mont.) 1905-191?
- Dates available on this site:
- Dec. 8, 1905-Feb. 24, 1911
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Lewistown Public Library, Lewistown, Montana
In 1901, Harry T. Kendall made a small fortune from the sale his gold-mining claims in the North Moccasin Mountains. When word of the rich vein spread, the tiny mining camp developed into the town of Kendall, soon boasting 200 permanent residents, three general stores, two hotels, two livery barns, a restaurant, a butcher, a tailor, an assay office, and five saloons. As was typical of mining-camp newspapers, the paper’s philosophy was boosterism, and the first issue of the Kendall Chronicle (later called The Kendall Miner) proclaimed: “When Kendall is connected with the railroad by a locomobile system of transportation then we will be in it with both feet.” After the Nickel Plate Stage Coach line started daily runs from Lewistown, Kendall was the most prosperous mining community in Fergus County, and the population exceeded 1,500 in 1909. In 1910, a rumor circulated that the ore was played out, and a large portion of the population abruptly departed. The town’s fate was sealed when the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad’s spur from Lewistown bypassed Kendall in favor of the farming town of Hilger. In 1911 most Kendall merchants, including the bank and the newspaper, relocated to Hilger, and the paper was rechristened The Hilger Herald.
- Copyright Information:
- This content is in the public domain.
- sn 85053339
- Catalog Record (MARC)