About The Melstone Messenger (Melstone, Mont.) 1914-19??
- Dates available on this site:
- Jan. 2, 1914-Aug. 10, 1939
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Melstone Area Foundation, Melstone, Montana
The Melstone Messenger began publication on January 2, 1914 with J. H Sarvis as the first owner and editor. Over the next six years, the paper was bought and sold 5 times: Burt Fuller (Oct 1915 - February 1916), John H. Jesser (Feb 1916 – summer-ish 1917), Albert Berlin (several months before Dec 1917 – June 1918), W. L. Butler (June 1918 – 1920), and Julius C. Schleppegrell (1920). Schleppegrell partnered with Wilbert Palmer Thurston, and when in Dec 1921, Schleppegrell decided to move on, Thurston acquired sole ownership of the paper. After being ill for several months, in Nov 1928, Thurston sold the paper so he could move away and regain his health. Unfortunately, he died in Melstone on Nov 29, 1928. D.T.A. MacIntosh had bought the business, but the plan had always been for Thurston to return to the newspaper after he regained his health. In March 1929, Ethel Thurston, Wilbert’s widow, bought the paper back and ran it until she sold it in Feb 1931 to W. M. Jones. Jones died in August 1939. His widow announced that the paper would be suspended. While there is a help wanted ad in the Billing Gazette, March 1940, looking for an editor and printer to run the Melstone Messenger, there is nothing showing that the paper ever restarted, and in Oct 1941 the printing plant was sold.
- Copyright Information:
- All content published 1925 and earlier is in the public domain. Issues published 1926-1963 are in the public domain but may have material that was copyrighted separately. This material will have a © or say copyright with year and is still protected.
- sn 86075008
- Catalog Record (MARC)