The Geraldine Review, , Image 1

About The Geraldine Review (Geraldine, Mont.) 1913-1963

Dates available on this site:
Aug. 15, 1913-Dec. 27, 1917
Dates published:
1913-1963
Frequency:
Weekly
Geographic coverage:
  • Geraldine, Chouteau, Montana
  • View more titles from this: City | County
Contributing institution:
Chouteau County Library, Fort Benton, Montana

More about this newspaper

The Geraldine Review published the first issue Aug 15, 1913, over a month before the post office was established and only two months after the town’s founding. With that speed, it comes as no surprise that the development of Geraldine and the surrounding farming communities was the principal focus of newspaper. Following the progress of the Milwaukee Road, the origin of Geraldine’s existence, was particularly prominent. The first editorial made explicit the connections between town and farmers promising to serve both. In 1915, it boosted for incorporation and in 1916, the editor George E. Shawler became the postmaster. Shawler had founded several Montana papers before arriving in Geraldine including, the Troy Echo, Libby Herald, Shelby News, and the Tobacco Plains Journal. He was a vocal supporter of the Democratic party, which can be seen in the Geraldine Review. When he retired in 1928, selling the Review to H.F. Perrin, he left a paper which would prosper for decades until the final issue on Oct 24, 1963. In the Chouteau county history “Spokes, Spurs and Cockleburs”, the final sentences about the Review includes the following: “The Geraldine Review has long since ceased reporting the happenings of the old hometown. In years past it was a constructive force in building a vigorous and prosperous community.”

Copyright Information:
This content is in the public domain.
LCCN:
sn 86075148
Catalog Record (MARC)