About The Hardin Tribune-Herald (Hardin, Mont.) 1925-1973
- Dates available on this site:
- Jan. 23, 1925-Dec. 29, 1933
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Big Horn County Historical Museum, Hardin, Montana
In 1907, the Lincoln Land Company laid out the town of Hardin, on the edge of the Crow Reservation on land that had been opened for non-Crow settlement the previous year. While the town wasn’t incorporated until 1911, the Hardin Tribune published its first issue on January 10, 1908. Within a year, Harry A. DeTunc bought the Tribune, and he in turn was bought out in 1918 by R.A. Vickers. In 1925 The Hardin Tribune and The Hardin Herald merged becoming The Hardin Tribune-Herald. After many changes in publishers, in 1973 the name was changed again to Hardin Herald and in 1988 it became the Big Horn County News. As the county seat, the newspaper focused local and county news. While the newspaper has minimal coverage of the Crow Reservation, there was continual coverage of the sale of Crow land in the 1910s and 1920s, which sometimes provided information about who bought allotments.
- Copyright Information:
- Issues published 1924-1963 are in the public domain but may have material that was copyrighted separately. This material will have a © or say copyright with year and is still protected under copyright law.
- sn 86075229
- Catalog Record (MARC)