The Great Falls Leader (Great Falls, Mont.) 1888-1900, March 25, 1890, Image 10

What is this?
Optical character recognition (OCR) is an automated process that converts a digital image containing numbers and letters into computer-readable numbers and letters. The search engine used on this web site searches OCR-generated text for the word or phrase you are looking for. Please note that OCR is not 100 percent accurate. If the original image is blurry, has extraneous marks, or contains ornate font styles or very small text, the OCR process will produce nonsense characters, extraneous spaces, and other errors, such as those you may see on this page. In addition, the OCR process cannot interpret images and may ignore them or render them as strings of nonsense characters. Despite these drawbacks, OCR remains a powerful tool for making newspaper pages accessible by searching.
×

8 G R E A T F A L L S A N D E N V I R O N S . The town of Neihart is situated upon and near the head of Belt creek. The history of this district is, in many respects, similar to that of Barker; but, stimulated with the assurance of early railroad communication with Great Falls, it has rapidly grown during the past few months from a camp of a few score miners and prospectors to a thriving town, having stores of general merchandise, hotels, restaurants, livery stables, blacksmith shops, assay office, etc., together with all the concomitants that go to make up a busy and prosperous mining town. A smelting plant was erected here several years ago by the Hud­ son Mining Company, owners of the Mountain Chief mine, and several thousand tons of ore were worked from the mine, which, though comparatively high grade in silver, runs low in lead. Concentrating works were subsequently built by the company near the smelter, but the specific gravity of the ore particles being about equal to that of the barren portion, would not admit of success­ ful treatment by this process, and, as a concentrating proposition, this mine was not a success. The mine is now being worked by a tunnel started at the base of the mountain, intended to tap the lode at a depth of 600 to 800 feet, at a distance of 360 feet from the mouth of the tunnel. t>f}Y WOIip. Dry Wolf camp is about nine miles southeast of Neihart, on what is called Dry Wolf creek, and bids fair to be a great lead producing camp. This district is small as yet, but has a bright future before it. Ten men and two or three families are wintering here. The Cas­ cade Mining Company of Great Falls have several very good outlooks in this region. t^UWHSlG WOLiF. This camp lies directly across the mountain from the Dry Wolf district, adjoins the Yogo district, and is a free lead camp. Among the most promising properties in this camp is the Mortson & Wood- liurst mine, owned by Paris Gibson and others, of Great Falls. At this mine there are several hundred tons of good free lead ore on the dumps. The ore also contains a good percentage of silver. YOGO DISTRICT. is situated some four miles southwest of Running Wolf, and is the oldest mining district in the Belt range, having been organized in 1880. The gold placer mines of the district first attracted the attention of the prospector J Numerous gold bearing quartz veins were afterward discovered, and the ores successfully worked with arastras. F O * ^ . This district lies on the Middle Fork of the Judith river and is also a free milling lead ore camp. This is a new country and has not been thoroughly prospected. S. S. Hobson of the Judith valley, recently purchased from T. E. Collins of Great Falls, C. W. King and Ed. Wetherwax of Yogo, the Blanket, Broad Gauge, and two other leads, paying a good round cash price for them. There are other equally fine mines in this camp that will pay handsomely ere many days, as the ore is free milling gold. The outlook for good diggings in this district the coming season is bright. In the spring it is said that a ten-stamp mill will be put up, which will add new life to the camp. C A ^ B O ^ A T E . This comparatively newly discovered mining district is located upon Logging creek, a branch of Belt, and some twenty miles north­ west of the town of Neihart. The ores are free-smelting, principally lead carbonates, carrying from twenty to fifty ounces of silver per ton and are of very similar character to those of Running Wolf district. t H b i^ o ^ l ivii ^ e s . The iron mines are about four miles northwesterly from Kee- gaus Butte, four miles west of Neihart, and only three miles from the Great Falls and Neihart railroad. The iron ore of these mines is of a very superior quality, and is said to possess all the ingredi­ ents for making steel. The veins average twenty feet in thickness. One lead has been located for over a mile.

The Great Falls Leader (Great Falls, Mont.), 25 March 1890, located at <http://montananewspapers.org/lccn/sn86075267/1890-03-25/ed-1/seq-10/>, image provided by MONTANA NEWSPAPERS, Montana Historical Society, Helena, Montana.