About Townsend Star (Townsend, Mont.) 1897-current
- Dates available on this site:
- April 24, 1897-Oct. 18, 1973
- Dates published:
- Geographic coverage:
- Contributing institution:
- Broadwater County Museum, Townsend, Montana
Morton W. Hatch published the first issue of The Townsend Star on April 24, 1897. On Sept 12, 1898, he sold the newspaper to T.N. Averill, former mayor of Townsend. Both Hatch and Averill declared that the Star would be Democratic in politics, especially in the support of free silver. The Townsend Messenger, founded in 1890, was quick to criticize and start feuding with the new publication. While many editors over the years would attempt to challenge The Townsend Star, Averill’s newspaper would outlast all competitors and ultimately buy many of them, including The Messenger. When Averill died in 1921, his wife and daughters continued to run the paper. After Nellie Averill’s death in June 1949, her two daughters, Grace Hollaway and Rosemary Ward ran the paper until Nov 1957 when they sold it to George and Florence Brammer. Though T. M. Brammer had also bought into the business, he soon sold his interest to John and Kathleen Jepson. (Kathleen was George and Florence’s daughter.) The Jepsons came and went from the Townsend Star; selling their interest in Feb 1961, buying the paper in June 1965, selling it to the Rademachers in Sept 1972, buying it back in Jan 1973 and selling it for a final time to Riley and Roberta Johnson in May 1973. Though the paper never says, this author speculates that the Rademachers (Verle and Patricia) sold the Townsend Star because it proved more difficult than expected to publish both it and the Meagher County News in White Sulphur Springs. The Townsend Star has always been run by experienced newspaper men and women who always ensured the publication of a professional and useful local newspaper.
- Copyright Information:
- This content may be under copyright protection. Follow this link for more information.
- sn 86075288
- Catalog Record (MARC)